The Saw Mill Building was built in the winter of 2007-2008. It is a 48 ft. x100 ft. structure and designed to house a Russell & Co. circular sawmill made in Massillon, OH. in the early 1900’s; a four head planer made by Witherby Rug & Richardson of Worcester, Mass.; a flat belt driven swing saw and other related equipment. They are used to demonstrate how older machinery worked and how many people it took to operate them.
In the spring of 2009 two additions were added to the Saw Mill. The west addition is 13 ft. x 100 ft. and houses memorabilia from early logging in Michigan along with tools and machinery used in early woodworking. We are also including pictures and information about family owned small town lumberyards of the Thumb Area.
The second addition on the east side is 24 ft. x 24 ft. and houses the diesel engine that is used to drive the Saw Mill when steam engines or tractors are not available.